Old Athens food tour
The Old Athens food tour a great walk full of colours, flavours, smells around the narrow streets of Athens. Experience of discovering the best local hidden foodie spots. Vibrant fish, meat and vegetable markets. Voices and laughter filling the roads and sidewalks around them, bringing nature’s best – right to you.
Furthermore, over the course of 3,5 hours of the old Athens food tour, you will have the chance to taste and explore the city beyond guidebooks. An urban tapestry that will bring you closer to the real beauty of Athens in every shop, in every bite.
Old Athens food tour includes:
- An insider, expert and passionate guide.
- Visit 7 food spots. A taste of the best authentic shops at places locals cherish
- More than 15 food tastings. Food, coffee & wine (equivalent to a full lunch)
- Explore Athens cultural sites and historic districts (Monastiraki, Psyrri)
- Experience “Varvakeios Agora”, Athens central fish, meat, vegetables and fruit market
- The chance to taste recipes passed down through generations
- An hour tasting of Greek artisanal products, wine & spirits at a local deli shop
- Learn about the city’s history, architecture and landmarks
- Support exclusively family-run businesses
Food Highlights of Old Athens food tour
- Greek traditional pies with creative fillings, spinach pie with feta cheese, bougatsa sweet custard pie sprinkled with icing sugar
- Koulouri, sesame sweet bread
- Greek traditional slowly brewed coffee paired with a bite-size flavoured lukum
- Loukoumades, just fried heavenly airy doughnuts drizzled with honey and cinnamon
- Famous Greek souvlaki, with handmade pitta bread, goats meat, tzatziki sauce and juicy tomato.
- Selection of olives and award-winning extra virgin olive oils, paired with warm bread sprinkled with oregano and sea salt
- Greek Indigenous variety of wines and greek spirits
- PDO greek cheese and cured meat
- Greek strained yoghurt with wild honey from the remote mountains of Greece
Meeting point | Old Athens food tour
Finally, the meeting point for the old Athens food tour is Monastiraki metro station (exit Monastiraki square) at the ticket hall, next to the ticket machines. Tour ends back at Monastiraki.