Secret Athens Food Tour | Private
The Secret Athens Food Tour is a fantastic food fest! Does your idea of a perfect vacation include having an unbelievably delicious food tour exploration of Athens? Then look no further than this exclusive food tour experience. A private, tailor-made tour around the most scenic areas of Athens. Secret Athens Food Tour starts with a morning walk through Plaka, under the shadow of the Acropolis. Discover an area of peace and serenity, white houses and narrow alleys created by islanders 150 years ago. A pleasant stroll as we taste our way through traditional local shops. Discover vibrant, colourful markets and the best-hidden food gems. During our walk, we will talk about the origins of the recipes before we arrive at an old deli shop. While we will enjoy an hour-long tasting of the best artisanal products from all around Greece. Selected artisanal olive oils, cheese, aromatic kinds of vinegar. Fine wines, wild varieties of honey and other delicacies around a well-prepared degustation table. Finally, you will have the opportunity to become familiar with the old way of living through this unique gastronomic experience.
Secret Athens Food Tour includes:
- An insider, expert and passionate guide.
- Visit 11 food spots. A taste of the best authentic shops at places locals cherish
- More than 25 food tastings. Food, coffee & wine (equivalent to breakfast, brunch and lunch)
- Explore Athens cultural sites and historic areas (Anafiotika, Monastiraki, Psyrri, Plaka, 11th-century church, Athens Cathedral, herbs and spices street )
- Experience “Varvakeios Agora”, the central fish, meat, vegetables and fruit market
- The chance to taste recipes passed down through generations
- The riveting story on when and how recipes were born and passed on to our days.
- An hour tasting of Greek artisanal products, wine & spirits at a local deli shop
- Learn about the city’s history, architecture and landmarks
- Support exclusively family-run businesses
- Select a departure time that suits your vacation schedule
- Private and tailor-made food tour ensures personalised attention from your guide
Food Highlights of Secret Athens Food Tour
- Greek traditional pies with creative fillings, spinach pie with feta cheese, bougatsa sweet custard pie sprinkled with icing sugar
- Kourou, half-moon shaped pie. A dough mixed with butter and yoghurt filled with famous Greek feta cheese, bakery since 1910
- Koulouri, sesame sweet bread from an old bakery store since 1926
- A fragrant slowly brewed coffee paired with a bite-size flavoured lukum
- Loukoumades, just fried heavenly airy doughnuts drizzled with honey and cinnamon, pastry shop since 1920’s
- Famous Greek souvlaki, garnished with juicy tomatoes, onions, parsley and paprika, wrapped in a lightly grilled pita. Street food spot since 1950’s
- Hidden tapas tavern since 1960’s for a selection of sour bites as also as Saganaki cheese, seafood or meat, olives, pickled peppers paired with ouzo.
- Selection of olives and award-winning extra virgin olive oils, paired with warm bread sprinkled with oregano and sea salt
- Greek Native variety of wines (red and white), greek spirits (tsipouro, rakomelo) and mastic liqueur
- Selection of 3 PDO greek cheese, cured meat and Greek ham
- Greek strained yoghurt with wild honey from the remote mountains of Greece
Meeting point | Secret Athens Food Tour
Finally, the meeting point for the Secret Athens Food Tour is Akropolis metro station, (exit Makriyianni / Dionysiou Arepaghitou). On the top of the escalators at the street level. Tour ends back at Monastiraki metro station, (exit Monastiraki square)