Sunday Athens food tour
Sunday Athens food tour is a leisurely Sunday morning stroll around the most scenic neighbourhoods of Athens. Walk around quiet streets, its lovely to see families out together and friends meeting to just enjoy a coffee, a meal or take a stroll downtown. Sunday is special in Athens. A morning walk through Plaka, under the shadow of the Acropolis. Discover the most picturesque neighbourhood of Athens, Plaka.
Enjoy a fragrant greek coffee before we explore Monastiraki’s famous flea market. In fact, it’s the day when the flea market really is a flea market and not just a collection of small shops. You can literally find anything here, from antiques to coins. A pleasant stroll as we taste our way through traditional local shops, discovering vibrant, colourful markets and the best-hidden food gems. During our walk, we will talk about the origins of the recipes before we arrive at an old local tavern, for a long tasting of the best traditional Greek dishes!
Sunday Athens food tour includes:
- An insider, expert and passionate guide.
- Visit 7 food spots. A taste of the best authentic shops at places locals cherish
- More than 20 food tastings. Food, coffee & wine (equivalent to breakfast and a full lunch)
- Explore Athens cultural sites and historic neighbourhoods (Anafiotika, Monastiraki, Psyrri, Plaka, 11th-century church, Athens Flea Market, Omonoia )
- The chance to taste recipes passed down through generations
- The riveting story on when and how recipes were born and passed on to our own days.
- A great feast at a local tavern, taste traditional dishes.
- Learn about the city’s history, architecture and landmarks
- Support exclusively family-run businesses
- Select a departure time that suits your vacation schedule
Food Highlights of Sunday Athens food tour
- Greek traditional pies with creative fillings, spinach pie with feta cheese, bougatsa sweet custard pie sprinkled with icing sugar
- Koulouri, sesame sweet bread from an old bakery store since 1926
- A fragrant slowly brewed coffee paired with a bite-size flavoured lukum and spoon sweets.
- Loukoumades, just fried heavenly airy doughnuts drizzled with honey and cinnamon and sesame seeds, pastry shop since 1920’s
- Famous Greek souvlaki, garnished with juicy tomatoes, onions, tzatziki, goats meat, wrapped in a fresh handmade lightly grilled pita, street food spot
- Hidden tapas tavern since 1970’s for a selection of sour nibbles (traditional Greek dishes, like “saganaki” grilled hard cheese, meatballs, fried fresh calamari, feta cheese, with tomato, sweet red pepper, spicy sauce paired with aromatic ouzo, wine, and bread
- Greek strained yoghurt with wild honey from the remote mountains of Greece
Meeting point | Sunday Athens food tour
Finally, the meeting point is at Akropolis metro station, (exit Makriyianni / Dionysiou Arepaghitou), on the top of the escalators at the street level. Tour ends back at Akropolis metro station.